Every vote counts. Alaska is a no excuse absentee voting state. Anyone may vote using the early and in-person absentee voting options. Early voting has begun at more than 150 locations throughout the state. If you are unable to vote in person, please get an absentee ballot and vote by mail. Apply for the absentee voting packet at https://absenteeballotapplication.alaska.gov/ or https://www.elections.alaska.gov/doc/forms/C06C.pdf.
How to Vote Your By-Mail Ballot
- In your voting packet you will receive a ballot, a return mailing envelope that contains the voter certificate and identification requirements, instructions and a gray secrecy sleeve.
- Vote your ballot by filling in the ovals next to your choices.
- Place your voted ballot inside the gray secrecy sleeve. Place the gray sleeve containing your voted ballot inside the return mailing envelope.
- In the presence of your witness, sign your ballot envelope and provide at least ONE identifier.
- A witness must be someone 18 years of age or older or an authorized official (Notary Public, municipal clerk, postal official, or any other official authorized and willing to administer the oath).
- Secure your ballot by folding over the flap and sealing the flap at the top and the bottom.
- Apply the correct amount of postage to the return envelope. Postal amount will be provided with the instructions.
- Mail your ballot. It must be postmarked on or before Election Day.
Here are some key dates to keep in mind:
2020 Primary Election:
- Absentee In Person, Early Vote, electronic transmission and Special Needs voting begins: Monday, Aug. 3, 2020
- Deadline to receive absentee by-mail applications: Saturday, Aug. 8, 2020
- Deadline to receive absentee electronic transmission ballot applications: 5 p.m. Alaska Standard Time – Monday, Aug. 17, 2020
- PRIMARY ELECTION DAY: Polls open from 7 a.m. – 8 p.m., Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2020
2020 General Election:
- Absentee In Person, EV, electronic transmission and Special Needs voting begins: Monday, Oct. 19, 2020
- Deadline to receive absentee by-mail applications: Saturday, Oct. 24, 2020
- Deadline to receive absentee by electronic transmission ballot applications: Monday, Nov. 2, 2020
- GENERAL ELECTION DAY: Polls open from 7 a.m. – 8 p.m., Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020
When registering to vote, your application must be postmarked or received 30 days before Election Day and your application for a by-mail ballot must be received 10 days before Election Day.
For more information, please visit https://www.elections.alaska.gov/Core/votingbymail.php.
To learn more about early voting visit https://elections.alaska.gov/.