Shareholder FAQs

Shareholder FAQs

Can I give shares to my children while I am alive?
Yes you may. Under the 1991 Amendments to ANCSA (43. U.S.C 1601 et seq.), you may only give stock to a person who is your child, grandchild, great-grandchild, niece, nephew, brother or sister and who is also a Native or a descendant of a Native.

What do I need to do to change my address?
In order to process an address change, we must have the change in writing from you, the shareholder. This is to ensure that only you are requesting this change. If you call with an address change, we will request that you send a letter. You can also download our address change form here and mail or fax it to (907) 443-2985.

How do I get my name changed?
We require a legal document that reflects the new name. Mail in the document with our Name Change Form or fax them to (907) 443-2985.

How do I devise my shares of stock to my heirs?
You can download the Will Form and execute it. This will must be notarized. You can also write to or call the Shareholder Department for the form. You may also devise your shares to your heirs in a formal will or stock will.

What happens if I leave no will devising my shares of stock?
Your shares of stock will be transferred to heirs under the Alaska State laws on intestate succession. This means that your shares will be transferred to your heirs by representation. (100 percent to spouse, no children; 50 percent to spouse, 50 percent to children; and so on)

What are my rights as a shareholder?
You have the right to vote in elections for the board of directors. You also have the right to receive dividends or other distributions from the corporation. If you are a non-Native shareholder by inheritance, you do not have the right to vote.

Can I sell my stock?
The 1991 Amendments to ANCSA continue the stock restrictions. These restrictions were originally going to end Dec. 18, 1991. Native stock cannot be sold, cannot be pledged as an asset, cannot be subjected to a lien or judgment, cannot be assigned, cannot be treated as an asset in bankruptcy or insolvency, and cannot otherwise be taken away.

What is 7(i) or 7(j)?
BSNC receives from other regional corporations revenues that come from the development of subsurface resources and timber referred to as 7(i). The amount BSNC receives is based on a percapita basis (our original enrollment number). BSNC in turn redistributes 50 percent of that revenue to its village corporations, referred to as 7(j). This is also on a per capita basis for each village. At-large shareholders receive a 7(j) distribution based on enrollment per capita. They do not belong to a village corporation; therefore they receive a direct distribution.

Does BSNC provide for funeral expenses?
Yes, BSNC provides Shareholder Bereavement Assistance in the amount of $2,500 for the death of an original BSNC shareholder, a lineal descendent of an original BSNC shareholder, or the spouse of a living original BSNC shareholder.

What about Elder dividends?
BSNC honors the contributions of our Elder shareholders. The BSNC Board of Directors voted to issue a special Elder dividend of $1,000 for fiscal year 2018. This special dividend was paid to original BSNC shareholders who were 65 years of age or older on Nov. 5, 2018, the date of record.